Issue:You need to force your laptop to use the high performance Graphics Processor instead of the default 'Integrated Graphics' when launching Ecdesign.
Causes:Nvidia Optimus is used to save energy by automatically choosing the “appropriate” graphics card for the current work being processed, and activating the heavy graphics card for games, etc. Optimus decides that Ecdesign isn’t a game and launches with the 'Integrated Graphics.
Solution:If your computer has an 'Integrated Graphics' card and an NVidia graphics card installed running NVidia Optimus, you can force the use of the NVidia graphics card when using Ecdesign
To change the default video card for Ecdesign
- Open the Windows Start Menu
- Enter “Nvidia control panel” into the Search field and run it
- Select “Manage 3D Settings” from the option in the left-hand panel
- Add Ecdesign.exe and Ecdesignviewer from the Ecdesign folder (found in C:Program(x86)/ECDESIGN/ECDESIGN4.
- Select your Nvidia graphics card under "preferred graphics processor" instead of the default “auto-select” (auto-select will use integrated graphics for Ecdesign, which can cause poor performance.)